KEEP CALLING - NOTHING HAS HAPPENED YET. WE NEED A CLEAN DACA BILL THAT PROVIDES A PATH TO CITIZENSHIP FOR DREAMERS.
The immigration legislation being considered at a national level directly affects our parish community. At St. Francis de Sales we have many parishioners who are so-called Dreamers as well as many families that are split apart because of unjust immigration policies. Today, in unison with the U.S. bishops, we urge you to contact your representative to inform him that you support a path to citizenship for DACA recipients and support policies that reunite families.
The fate of nearly 1.8 million Dreamers (this includes those who did not sign up for DACA out of fear) remains uncertain as Congress has yet to reach a bipartisan deal to protect these youth. On January 22nd, Congress passed a short-term spending bill that will fund the government through February 8th. The bill did not include protections for Dreamers; parties have agreed to continue negotiations and work towards a fix. Unfortunately, every day that passes without a solution is a day where DACA youth fall out of status and lose their ability to go to school, serve in the military, and work legally. (This is from the Justice for Immigrants site maintained by that office of the US bishops.)
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- https://justiceforimmigrants.org/category/action-alerts/ Go here to send an email letter to both Senators and to Congressman Huizenga or Congressman Upton.
- Call the Congressional Switchboard in D.C. to ask for Senator Peters, Senator Stabenow, and your Congressman. (202-224-3121) A phone call is the strongest action you can take aside from meeting with them or their aides at their local offices. (possible message below as well as other contact information)
- Make phone calls repeatedly.
- Write a letter to the editor of the Sentinel in support of the DREAMers.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Go to this site to read the stories of many DREAMers. https://dreamers.fwd.us/stories
YOUR POSSIBLE MESSAGE TO CONGRESS
As a person of faith I’m urging you to do 3 things; the 1st must be completed by Feb. 8.
- Quickly and carefully work for a bipartisan bill that protects Dreamers and provides a path to citizenship
- Border security measures should be balanced, proportional and humane
- Reject proposals that threaten family-based immigration or seek to undermine protections for unaccompanied children.
Debbie Stabenow, 3280 E. Beltline Ct. NE, Suite 400, Grand Rapids, MI 49525 (616) 975-0052 www.stabenow.senate.gov/
Senator Gary Peters, Gerald R. Ford Federal Bldg., 110 Michigan St. NW, Suite 720, Grand Rapids, MI (616)233-9150 www.peters.senate.gov/
Congressman Bill Huizenga, 4555 Wilson Ave, SW, Suite 3, Grandville, MI 49418 (616)570-0917 https://huizenga.house.gov
Congressman Fred Upton, 350 E Michigan Ave. , Suite130, Kalamazoo, MI 49007 (269) 385-0039 https://upton.house.gov